Thursday, March 22, 2012

1 Part Compliment; 6 Parts Criticism

I wake up with headaches every morning and it’s a grim reminder that something is lurking in my brain. I have watched myself become sick, temperamental, withdrawn and unmotivated. My nights are often cut short because my headaches hit me like a ton of bricks and I see the people that love me most deal with my symptoms too. After a mean episode it’s like I snap out of it and I have to ask myself why I was so mad.


Last Sunday I was hell bent on being mad on my way to church and in my head I had every right to feel the way I did. That is until I walked into church and the Pastor gave a statistic. He said for EVERY 1 WORD OF ENCOURAGEMENT WE GIVE 6 WORDS OF CRITICISM. He continued on to say that this is why people excel at work and they leave their family life to fall apart in the background because at work we see encouragement when we do well and at home we often take our stress out on the person who loves us most.

As I heard those words all those feelings I felt I had every right to have disappeared and I automatically wanted to call my boyfriend and apologize. In reality he did nothing wrong in fact he was attempting to fulfill a request I had the day before. Luckily I still have an excuse for 14 more days and some of this is out of my control. But after 14 days I hope I can keep this statistic close to my heart and everyday wake up reminding myself to be thankful and help others around me to be positive.

Here is the link to the sermon courtesy of Sun Valley Community Church in Gilbert, Arizona: http://vimeo.com/38713396

No comments:

Post a Comment