Sunday, March 11, 2012

25 and 5

For the past several years my birthday has always taken a dramatic turn. When I turned 18 I had this awesome plan to visit the beach for my birthday even though my Nina (God Mother) was sick with cancer. Everyone told me she would be alright but the people I was with ended up injured in an accident and we had to come home a day early which was the night of my birthday March 10th. The next morning I watched my Nina take her last breath. A moment I will hold on to for the rest of my life. God brought me home for a reason that night! Ironically my cousin passed away in another city 35 minutes before my Nina (also of cancer). They were both very close. I like to believe that when he passed away he is the one who came and got my Nina so they could go to Heaven together. Fast forward 4 boring birthdays later and again an uneventful birthday full of alcohol and shots as if I were just turning 21. The next morning March 11th I woke up hungover to the devastating news that a Tsunami destroyed Japan. I felt like I woke up to the world ending. I went to my grandparents house thinking we would be celebrating my birthday, only to find that my Nana just had a stroke and I had to call 911. I got threw that day listening to people feel sorry for me but my Nana is still alive, so what if I couldn't celebrate my birthday. My Nana being alive is what matters most.
This year I decided I would not have any expectations and in fact we started celebrating a week early just in case tragedy hit again. I cannot remember the last time I had such a great birthday. I celebrated with true friends and did what I wanted to do. Every person in my life made it special for me! From my boyfriend spending quality time and my Besties making me dinner and buying me lunch. I am truly thankful for everything God has given me and even if/when tragedy strikes I know I need to be thankful for the little things because they are what mean the most.
Today its been 5 years and I went hiking to reflect on my Nina and everything she brought into my life. She always had many wise words to say and the one that would fit here is, "You can count your friends on one hand but your family is endless"

No comments:

Post a Comment