Friday, March 9, 2012

Dr. S and Dr. S

When my mom was being prepared for surgery yesterday Dr. S (not Dr. Spetzler) walked in and talked with my mother and I and answered all the questions about her surgery and recovery that she did not remember from her appointment. He was very kind but in my own head I was thinking NO WAY will anyone but Dr. Spetzler be doing my surgery. He changed my mind today when he walked in to check on my mother. He has had a constant smile since we met and so kind to my mom even though she can over talk sometimes. When I asked him if he assists Dr. Spetzler in all his surgeries he said mostly and asked why. I told him I would be having mine in May. His quick response made a huge impact on me. His reply was "I heard and I took it upon myself to look at your MRI yesterday and it is in a good spot, I can mostly certainly try and be the one to be there". The fact that after hearing my story he took the time to want to see what I was going through made me smile.

I was very embarrassed about this diagnosis for a very long time but since my mother have told our story to many interested nurses, doctor's and such the last two days I feel special. NO not because I have to have surgery or go through the associated pain but because you know what? I don’t have to do this alone. Since I can remember I have stood by my mother and my sister's side watching them suffer and repeating how I would never be able or want to survive what they have gone through. But the thing is I'm just as strong and going through this with them I'm more educated on the subject then most people with CM's. I am not scared of the CM I was scared of what it would make me become. I have no reason to be afraid anymore I'm very lucky to have people in my corner, mending the relationships I never thought were restorable and a chance to make my goals happen.
Update on Neurologists: I went to a new neurologist yesterday and I have to say I hope he never retires and continues my care forever. He did not act like he knew what was best for me but rather he listened to what I wanted and needed to feel comfortable with my diagnosis. Then he gave me his opinion and gave me options about how we would go about making me comfortable until my surgery. I have never walked out of a doctor's office feeling like I made a friend until now. Bonus: His staff is just as welcoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment